Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Criminal Files.......(Greg Berin)...........Phase 1 of the Investigation

10-07-2013 at 09:39 AM
THE INVESTIGATION

The investigation began a week before his arrest and lasted approximately a month. It all started when my grandmother reported several pieces of jewelry missing from her home and my very first thought of Greg's involvement although I had no evidence and prayed I wouldn't find any. It was after I discovered the criminal record on a nurse who cared for my grandfather and before I found the first piece of evidence in his pants pocket. It was one of those gut feelings you get that you cannot ignore no matter how hard you try. I call it my sixth sense of intuition that made me do the unimaginable and investigate the man I was in love with. As much as I prayed he was a good guy and would cause me no harm I couldn't knock that little voice, that was telling me "it's not all that it seems", out of my head. And, it had nothing to do with my background as a PI that I had these suspicious feelings but simply that I am a human being with the ability to “reason” and was not allowed to ignore it.

Ok, I will make this as short and painless as possible and will cover each phase of the investigation in the upcoming postings.

PHASE ONE

I was in love with this guy, didn't want this fantasy of a world I was living in to end, and didn't want to have to start all over again. There, I said it! But, regardless of these facts I WOULD NOT ignore my gut instinct about this guy and because of this what I had to do made it that much harder. Now on to the juicy tidbits about the investigation.

The first thing I did once I decided to investigate his alleged involvement in the crime that occurred at my grandparents house was to go through the few things he had kept at my house like his clothes namely his pant pockets. I do not recall ever seeing him wearing pocketed shirts as he often wore vests over his shirts. I offered to do his laundry which I had never done before but told him I was running a small load of my own and if he had a few things I could add them to my load. He agreed so I was counting on. I carried his clothes into the laundry room and left them there. What he didn't know was that I had already gone through his pockets and found a gold pendant that resembled one I kept in an old jewelry box. The first thing I did was go to my old jewelry box to only discover the familiar looking pendant that I owned WAS MISSING! (This is the point when my heart sunk into my stomach. This was the very moment I knew that there was not going to be a wedding and that my dream of getting married was over.) With his consent I was able to remove the evidence from his possession and into mine when I offered to do his laundry. It bought me some time to figure out what to do next.

The next morning I woke up and got out of bed before Greg was awake. I went to the laundry room to get the pendant and brought it into the bedroom. I was curious as to how he would react to the fact that I found my pendant in his pant pocket. I approached him as he was waking up and stood over him while he lay in bed. I said, “good morning. I was going through your pant pocket this morning as I was about to do laundry and found this”, as I held up my stolen gold pendant. I continued, “you care to explain to me why my gold pendant is in your pant pocket?” I did not get the response I was expecting.

So, I will break for now and yes I know I have left you with a cliffhanger. I hope you come back later to find out what happened next. Tell your family and friends to visit my blog. Although I know it is at my expense I hope at the very least my stories, which are all true, can help someone else.

If you read my blog please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/diaryofapi. Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment