No matter by water or bullet Americans are being hit everywhere Las Vegas, in the middle of the desert, being no exception. But, why? There is a whole lot of bad happening to us.
While the media dissects details about the perpetrator to learn the answers to why it happened the rest of us are questioning our own next moves. We all know it can happen anywhere, at anytime, and to anybody. In fact, I recall hearing one victim say "This only happens to other people. I never imagined it would happen to us!" Unfortunately, this could only be said after the fact.
I was in Las Vegas over the Labor Weekend and being shot was the last thing on my mind. I could count on two hands the amount of times I have been to Vegas and never in the history of my travels have I heard of anything remotely close to this having had occurred in Vegas. After the fact I realized this could have happened to us in our travels over the Labor Day weekend as the gunman was allegedly planning a more recent attack. We would have been no exception.
The point is that it could happen to anybody at anytime. You are not the exception.
The airports only take further security measures after an incident has occurred. It's too late!
The concert and sports venues only take further security measures after an incident has occurred at a similar venue somewhere else in the country. The same with schools.
Malls only add security after an incident has occurred only at that particular mall.
You get the point.
Today we live in a society that requires our intuition/sixth sense/gut feeling be at the forefront. We cannot rely on other people to alert us of such dangers ahead of time otherwise terrorism wouldn't exist and the concern in Vegas would have been canceled. Now would be a good time for self proclaimed psychics to use their alleged powers.
What we can do to help ourselves:
- ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings including exit doors, windows, balconies, etc.
- Be aware of the people around you. Is someone's behavior unusual? In other words, is someone active nervous in an environment that does not warrant such behavior? Are they carrying an oversized bag that is not fitting for the venue they are attending? Are there unusual bulges?
- If you feel someone is acting suspicious then alert a staff member who should alert security. Let the professionals make the final determination. Do what you feel is necessary to protect yourself
- Take a self defense class. These days they also teach you what to do if faced with danger in today's world.
- Let your instinct be your guide. It's the feeling you get that something doesn't feel right. in 9 out of 10 cases it's right on target.
- Always listen to your instincts because it's the first thing that will alert you to danger if there are no external resources.
What say you Donald Trump aka President Trump?